This release contains some new features, most noteworthy:
- XEP-0059: Result Set Management
- XEP-0222: Persistent Storage of Public Data via PubSub
- XEP-0223: Persistent Storage of Private Data via PubSub
- Roster Versioning
- Optional Session Establishment
- Persistent caching of Entity Capabilities and Avatars
- More login() methods, e.g. to pass an authorization id or custom
- BOSH compression (gzip, deflate)
- Helper classes to work with standardized MUC and PubSub data forms, e.g. to configure a node.
- Improved way to respond to IQ requests more easily via an
A more comprehensive list can be found in the changelog.
Special thanks goes to Markus Karg, who has provided many good ideas and test results, issued bugs and suggested improvements!
Moving to Java 8
0.5.0 will be the last release for Java 7, future releases will be for Java 8.The reasons behind this decision are:
- Java 8 offers so much cool new stuff, which is worth exploring and probably helps improving the API in a sustainable way. I am thinking especially about the Stream API,
java.util.functionpackages and the new Async API.
- As of now, this library is developed and tested with Java 8 only, which makes maintaining Java 7 compatibility a burden.